Sunday, June 12, 2005

Soldiers in Trouble

I understand that the WSJ doesn't really want to talk about Iraqis killed by us in the war, but what about our own soldiers?
Do we not care that they have been fighting in extraordinarily lethal conditions?

Did anyone read in the NY Times that most cold calls by recruiters to parents in the U.S. these days are hung up on outright?
These are hard lessons for a great empire. I mean, they would be hard lessons if we were in the business of learning lessons.
But instead of getting the idea that this war is unpopular with the people, neo-con editorialist threaten us with the possibilty
of the reinstatement of the draft! "Don't bring it on yourselves!", they seem to say.

I think that we should make decisive plans to start bringing our brave heroes home . If we don't, then I have to ask myself,
"Are we treating our own soldiers as human beings?" (And then you can talk to me about how sorry you are for those
Iraqi civilians murdered by jihadist terrorism, civilians who would be alive today were it not for the Iraq war being waged in the first place). But I DO understand why the U.S. Armed Forces can't all pack up today and leave en masse.

No comments: