Friday, June 10, 2005

Re: "12,000 Heroes"--WSJ editorial(6/10/05)

I'm glad to know that the Iraq government has come up with numbers about how many Iraqi civilians have been
killed in the last 18 months. It is a grave tragedy. Trying to understand the roots of terror took up a whole edition of a Newsweek after September 11.

The WSJ says "There's...been plenty of tendentious speculation about the number of Iraqis killed by coalition action, the purpose of which is to cast Iraq's liberation as an unmitigated horror for the Iraqis."
[The word "tendentious" means " composed with the intention of promoting a particular cause or viewpoint"(New Shorter Oxford), in case anyone was unclear.]

But look!: Liberals don't cook this stuff up to screw neo-cons over! As citizens we are compelled to be aware of the facts!

Believe me I'd be much happier if a few of my near and dear weren't actually renouncing the symbol of the american flag
due to outrageous acts, foreign and domestic, committed by our government since 2000!

I wish this were the only example, but:

After my family came to stay in my apartment last May, I found my flag hidden on the floor underneath the dark green curtains. Was it a mere accident or did they know the flag is not supposed to touch the floor? Am I supposed to burn it now? I feel like a traitor because I'm too lazy to burn and replace it AND I forget if my fireplace is supposed to be real or not. I'm gambling that that hallowed tradition doesn't apply to the flags that cost $2.50. But still!

No comments: