Friday, August 05, 2005

First Letter to the Blog re: Gore's "Current" channel

Jim Heffler writes:

"Podcasts??? Can you download the audio?

What would you expect from the Wall Street Journal reviewing Al Gore?
Have you watched the WSJ panel on Ch 13 right after "Now" on Friday
nights? I can't watch it. The bias comes right through."

No, these podcasts have been uploded to the station. You can just watch them.

I can see the logic in letting the WSJ have an editorial show on 13, because you'd think it would stop them from revoking PBS funds since they're getting an equal voice, and they do present it as editorial; but I happen to think that it's Tucker Carlson who's so under-prepared and unqualified. That's the one that steams me. Plus, Congress was still trying to revoke PBS funds despite their WSJ show after "NOW".

The latest thing, correct me if I'm wrong, is that they have a neo-con named Tomlinson in charge of Public Broadcasting, and progressive groups are worried that there will now be too much bias to the right. Until now the conservatives always complained it was too liberal. I'd have to defer to Sven on the current state of things (13), but he still seems to appreciate "The Jim Lehrer News Hour" and "NOW" is still great. I do see that, too. Keep me posted.

About "What do you expect?" from the WSJ on Gore's new station: Well, I know. But lots of people read the WSJ and even though we all know it's conservative, I want to be vigilant that they don't let down their guard just because it's "only the Arts and Leisure page" or the Taste page. Their entertainment pages are as conservative as their editorial postitions.

Jim replies:

What perhaps bothers me more than the right wing shows that have been
forced on PBS is the notion that they are showing more and more
entertainment and less and less political or social commentary.

"Antiques Road Show" every night, 60's rock and folk stars, the "Celtic
Woman" show last night. I suppose you can argue these shows bring in
viewers (and I'm not knocking the quality of the shows. I watch them
too.) But I can't help thinking that they're on because they're safer
than political/social stuff. Part of the "duck and cover" that Public
Radio and Television have been practising for some time now.

No comments: